Details of Magnetic Island’s location and how to get there by plane, car and ferry
- Magnetic Island lies about 8km off the coast of Townsville and is accessable by a fast catarmaran ferry service which is about 20 minutes travelling time from the Townsville terminal to the Nelly Bay Harbour/ Marina Magnetic Island.
- The nearest airport to Magnetic Island is Townsville. Qantas Flights, Jetstar and Virgin currently operate scheduled flights to this destination connecting from cities throughout Australia..
- From Townsville Airport It’s just 10 minutes by taxi to the ferry terminals located near the breakwater in the city. There is also an Airport shuttle bus operating between the airport and the ferry terminal. Click here for passenger ferry time tables
- The passenger ferry is operated by Sunferries from their terminal in Ross Street. You do not need to book, but it is a good idea to check the ferry times when arranging your flights. When booking flights it would be a good idea to try and choose flights arriving about 40 minutes prior to ferry departure.
- The car ferry operates from the north side of the Ross River in Sir Leslie Thiess Drive. You do need to book this ferry. Travellers need to be at the ferry time about 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure times. Click here for car ferry timetable.
- Once you arrive at the Nelly Bay terminal, it is just over 100 metres to Bright Point Elite at One Bright Point. No need for buses or taxis.